Friday 27 November 2015

More tests

I realise that I need to bring you up to date. 

I went to see the different ENT at the end of October, and this was the first time I felt that I was talking to a medical person who knew anything about this condition.  I was in a room with the ENT, a physio, and various other nurses who between them all made up the balance clinic.  Unfortunately the ENT didn't have access to the reformatted version of my CT scan, but he later wrote me a letter saying that once he had seen it, it became clear that I "had quite a good example of superior semi-circular canal dehiscence". 

Another test he wanted to have done on me was a VEMP test.  VEMP stands for "vestibular evoked myogenic potential".  Which to the lay person means absolutely nothing!  I tried researching it, so that I knew what to expect and to try to understand the purpose of the test.  Unfortunately I was unable to make head nor tail of my findings.  I gleaned that it involves electrodes and a pulsating noise in your ear, but the whys and wherefores of it all remain a mystery. 

So the day came to go for my test.  It was explained to me that the vestibular system is a complex system, and trying to find out where it is going wrong is like trying to find a needle in the haystack.  VEMP testing combined with high resolution CT scan  is used as a diagnostic tool in diagnosing SCDS.  And even though I have had it done now, I still don't understand it, so all I can do is explain the process.

I was hooked up to some electrodes.  Two each side of my neck, placed on specific muscles.  I had further electrodes placed on the front of my neck, and my forehead.  The electrodes were tested, and retested, and then moved around, until after what seemed like forever, they were happy that they were set up correctly.  I then had to turn my head one way, to put my neck muscle under just the right amount of tension, which was determined by a traffic light type arrangement.  Red meant that it was contracted too much, blue was not enough, and green was just right.  They then, through and ear piece placed in my ear, sent a loud pulsating noise.  This made my eyes bounce all over the place, but I had to concentrate on keeping my neck in the correct position.  I had this repeated on the other side (which was much harder as  couldn't maintain the correct tension in my neck).  Then the test was repeated on each side again but at a lower sound level. 



I was expecting to feel particularly disorientated after all that, but I think the overwhelming feeling was one of tiredness, and a slightly sore neck!! 

The results of the test will be analysed over the next couple of weeks, and hopefully, when I get to see the consultant again in December, we will be able to formulate a plan of action to rid me of the symptoms of this condition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment